Re: When/why did function calls get cheap?

"Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
24 Mar 2003 21:56:45 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? klimas@klimas-consulting.com (Andreas Klimas) (2003-03-09)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? bonzini@gnu.org (2003-03-14)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? jcrens@earthlink.net (Jack Crenshaw) (2003-03-14)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net (David Thompson) (2003-03-22)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? alex_mcd@btopenworld.com (Alex McDonald) (2003-03-22)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? tenger@idirect.com (Terrence Enger) (2003-03-23)
Re: When/why did function calls get cheap? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2003-03-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Mar 2003 21:56:45 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Mar 2003 21:56:45 EST

"Terrence Enger" <tenger@idirect.com> wrote in message
> David Thompson wrote:
>
> > The 8080 stack could be anywhere in the 64k address space, but not all
> > of it, unless you had no other data or code including boot. Which is
> > obviously pretty unlikely. Only with 286 could you have a full 64KB
> > for stack (assuming sufficient phyiscal memory, of course).
>
> This takes me so far back it is almost like a dream. If memory
> serves, the 8080 identified stack references on the bus, so that one
> could have separate address spaces for stack and other memory, each
> 64K for a total of 128 K. I do not know of any computer which used
> this feature.

I believe they advertized it as a 64K stack, so it is nice that they
provided the ability.

I believe the 8086 also had this feature. I think code segment could
be detected, also.

-- glen
[The 8086 distinguished between code and data references, but not
various kinds of data. In practice, nobody used that feature because
the standard bus control chip ignored it and treated all memory
references the same. -John]