Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference?

John Fiskio-Lasseter <johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu>
17 Mar 2003 00:04:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu (John Fiskio-Lasseter) (2003-02-24)
Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? Jens_Kilian@agilent.com (Jens Kilian) (2003-03-09)
Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? chase@theworld.com (David Chase) (2003-03-09)
Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? andrews@csd.uwo.ca (2003-03-14)
Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu (John Fiskio-Lasseter) (2003-03-17)
Re: Tarski's fixpoint theorem and static analysis -- reference? steck@stecksoft.com (Paul A. Steckler) (2003-03-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Fiskio-Lasseter <johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2003 00:04:16 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2003 00:04:16 EST

Jamie Andrews <andrews@csd.uwo.ca> wrote:

> It might be that the notion had not yet broken out of the
> semantics area by that time, so the Cousots' 1977 paper may well
> be the first. Indeed, it may well be that a Cousot or two read
> Stoy's book (copyright date 1977, thus available possibly in
> 1976), and understood the importance of Tarski's theorem to
> dataflow analysis then. I don't have the Cousots' paper -- does
> it cite Stoy as well as Tarski?

Unfortunately, my copy's in my office right now, so I can't check from
home. I'm almost positive, though, that Scott's "Data Types as
Lattices" paper is included in the bibliography of the first POPL
paper on abstract interpretation -- not sure about Stoy. That's
certainly consistent with your suggestion about the chain of
influence, which also fits well with the more general story of
abstract interpretation and its use in establishing a link between
program analysis and semantics.

-- John

John Fiskio-Lasseter
    * Phd. Student, CIS Dept., University of Oregon
    * Deschutes 234 x6-1385 johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu