Re: updating the Crenshaw tutorial

Jack Crenshaw <jcrens@earthlink.net>
16 Mar 2003 23:58:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: updating the Crenshaw tutorial jcrens@earthlink.net (Jack Crenshaw) (2003-03-16)
Re: updating the Crenshaw tutorial sergei@kostigoff.net (Sergei Kostigoff) (2003-11-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jack Crenshaw <jcrens@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Mar 2003 23:58:01 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Mar 2003 23:58:01 EST

Hi, John. Someone sent me email to say that there'd been some talk on
the newsgroup of completing my still-unfinished tutorial on compiler
construction. I didn't see the thread, though.

For the record, I've been talking with others about re-doing the
series using modern tools like Delphi to give a GUI interface. If
anyone is interested in seeing such a thing, I'd be interested in
talking about it.

Also for the record, I pretty well had the missing chapters mapped out
in my head. There were only two major items I never got around to
discussing. The first was dealing with multiple types (not
user-defined -- had no plans to go there). I wanted to take a
different approach to type-casting, which is to consider the type of
the DESTINATION parameter, as well as the arguments.

The second was optimization. I had two levels in mind. The first was
to implement a small, internal stack in data registers, so for
operations that didn't need many levels, one got register-register
operations. The next was to add optimization of the parse tree, to
remove run-time computation of constant expressions and also to
minimize stack depth.

Jack Crenshaw