Efficient bytecode generation?

"shahmil merchant" <shahmil_m@hotmail.com>
14 Mar 2003 17:32:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Efficient bytecode generation? shahmil_m@hotmail.com (shahmil merchant) (2003-03-14)
Re: Efficient bytecode generation? anonymous-coward@get2.net (Søren Bak) (2003-03-22)
Re: Efficient bytecode generation? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2003-03-30)
Re: Efficient bytecode generation? strohm@airmail.net (John R. Strohm) (2003-03-30)
Re: Efficient bytecode generation? eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2003-04-05)
Re: Efficient bytecode generation? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2003-04-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "shahmil merchant" <shahmil_m@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2003 17:32:13 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2003 17:32:13 EST

I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good resources which
explain generation of bytecode and a corresponding interpreter for
it. I have defined BNF grammar and have generated the .y and .l file
for it and I am confused on how to approach code generation. What
criteria do I need to consider for writing my own bytecode and
instruction set.

thanks.
[For a software interpreter, you'll probably find that a complex high-level
bytecode is faster than a simple one, since the work in the interpreter
of cracking and dispatching the codes is significant. The simplest way
to start is reverse polish at about the same semantic level as the
source language, since you can usually generate that directly from the
parser. -John]