compiler target?

Tom Lien <>
14 Mar 2003 11:26:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler target? (Tom Lien) (2003-03-14)
Re: compiler target? (2003-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tom Lien <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2003 11:26:25 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2003 11:26:25 EST

I, and another programmer are endeavoring to create a language most
similar to c++, with in-language support for constraints on parametric
polymorphism, well-integrated preprocessing features, anonymous lambda
functions, and typesafe functions with arbitrary arguments (i.e typesafe
printf), amongst other things. We are using a c++ library called Spirit
( for our lexer/parser/AST generation.

My question is, if you were involved in this project, what would you
generate from the AST? We don't want to target a particular assembly
language because it is not portable. Would you recommend compiling down
to another language such as c or c++. Or what about targeting a virtual
machine (java, .net)? Are there other options we should consider?

Thanks in advance.