.NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction

"David A. Cornelson" <david.cornelson@iflibrary.com>
21 Feb 2003 01:23:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
.NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction david.cornelson@iflibrary.com (David A. Cornelson) (2003-02-21)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2003-02-24)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami) (2003-02-24)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction david.cornelson@iflibrary.com (David A. Cornelson) (2003-03-09)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction tbandrow@unitedsoftworks.com (2003-03-09)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami) (2003-03-14)
Re: .NET Compiler for Interactive Fiction lars@bearnip.com (2003-03-14)

From: "David A. Cornelson" <david.cornelson@iflibrary.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Feb 2003 01:23:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 21 Feb 2003 01:23:32 EST

Dear Compilerer's,

I am putting together a project (already on SourceForge) to build a
new platform for Interactive Fiction gaming targeting the .NET
Framework and CLR. There are several parts to this project, one in
particular is the creation of a new syntax/language that compiles to
the CLR.

The other parts are class libraries that provide all of the base IF
functionality and another part to handle traditional IF User Interfaces.

But this is sort of a funny project, because the new language doesn't
necessarily need to be complete. The idea (im my mind), is to build a syntax
that authors can use to create a world model and the logic of the world
model. The emphasis is on text, not objects.

So instead of the developer writing (in c#):

class Kitchen : IF.Room {

        public Kitchen {}

        public string Description()
        {
                UI.WriteLine("This is the kitchen");
        }

        public void Go_East()
        {
                return LivingRoom;
        }
}

....they would want to write something like this (just an example):

class Kitchen : IF Room {
        go_east: LivingRoom;
}

....and even this seems like too much "programming" to me....

I'm trying to determine if there is a way to build a language syntax that is
more english-oriented.

So if anyone is interested in this subject-matter, please drop me an e-mail.

Thanks,

David Cornelson
david.cornelson_nospam@iflibrary.com (remove _nospam)