Need advice for a book.

Mike <mikemike@freemail.it>
13 Feb 2003 00:47:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need advice for a book. mikemike@freemail.it (Mike) (2003-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Mike <mikemike@freemail.it>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Feb 2003 00:47:56 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Feb 2003 00:47:56 EST

Hi!

A book not for the beginners, but for the most experienced compiler
designers that can yet learn something valuable from it?

A book that grasped a bit my interest (but I cannot really judge, from
the little I've read about it) is:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558604421/qid=1045067003/sr=1-
5/ref=sr_1_5/002-5736107-6649614?v=glance&s=books

Looking at many other books, specifically in compiler design, I always
or almost always have read enthusiastic reviews about them, it seems
that for every book the readers claim that it's the best compiler
design book available.

Can anybody authoritatively advice a truly complete and "definitive"
book for the already experienced and creative compiler designer? Not
an introductory book at all.

PS: although I don't target exclusively the x86, this is the CPU I'm
mostly interested on, thus I'd like to see examples (e.g. on
pipelining) tuned to this family of CPUs (K7 and P6/P7), if a CPU has
to be taken as example.
[If anyone wants to send in a review of this or other compiler texts,
I'll add it to the list in the FAQ. -John]