Re: Justifying Optimization

cgweav@aol.com (Clayton Weaver)
29 Jan 2003 23:46:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Justifying Optimization ONeillCJ@logica.com (Conor O'Neill) (2003-01-25)
Re: Justifying Optimization jvorbrueggen@mediasec.de (Jan C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vorbr=FCggen?=) (2003-01-25)
Re: Justifying Optimization jvorbrueggen@mediasec.de (Jan C.=?iso-8859-1?Q?Vorbr=FCggen?=) (2003-01-25)
Re: Justifying Optimization joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-01-26)
Re: Justifying Optimization lars@bearnip.com (2003-01-26)
Re: Justifying Optimization cgweav@aol.com (2003-01-29)
Re: Justifying Optimization tmk@netvision.net.il (2003-01-30)
Re: Justifying Optimization lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2003-02-05)
Re: Justifying Optimization bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2003-02-05)
Re: Justifying Optimization vbdis@aol.com (2003-02-06)
Re: Justifying Optimization joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-02-11)

From: cgweav@aol.com (Clayton Weaver)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Jan 2003 23:46:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Jan 2003 23:46:33 EST

> Most programmer time is invested into commercial applications
>targetted for Windows and nothing else (sad as this state of affairs
>is). In that area, it makes sense to run the debug-mode code, simply
>to cut down on the effort for testing.

>Additional testing with the optimizer turned on will just find a lot
>of bugs that were never relevant in debug code - why fix them?
>Customers don't care about them, fixing them just runs the risk of
>introducing other errors, and customers want that the software vendor
>invests his time into new features (or in fixing the more obvious
>bugs and misfeatures), not in making the software beautiful.

I recently upgraded a Windows ISP client (after the old one crashed
and ate an email filing cabinet).

The newer version is quite a bit slower than the one that I upgraded
from. I do not view it as "the price of more stable code", because I
do not know that the new version is any more stable than the one I
upgraded from (software upgrades on Windows go the other way more
often than not in my experience).

Instead, I am thinking "time to get a different ISP".

Is that really the response that you want from customers?

Regards,
Clayton Weaver
<mailto: cgweav@aol.com>