Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw)

brianbecker@hotpop.com (Brian C. Becker)
12 Jan 2003 17:45:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) fish@whoppermail.com (Fis}{) (2002-12-19)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) slshmeat@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG (Louis P. Santillan) (2002-12-22)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) hslpistoor@libero.it (Huub Pistoor) (2002-12-22)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2002-12-22)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) holychapin@hotmail.com (2002-12-24)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) fish@whoppermail.com (Fis}{) (2003-01-07)
Re: Tutorial question (Jack Crenshaw) brianbecker@hotpop.com (2003-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: brianbecker@hotpop.com (Brian C. Becker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2003 17:45:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2003 17:45:15 EST

Hi,
> This is my 1st post inhere because I am too enthiousastic about
> building a c-compiler.

    Welcome! This is my first post here too, but I've visited this group
frequently over the last year or so. It is truely a wealth of
information.

> Is anybody interrested in the finishing of the famous 'Jack Crenshaw'
> tutorials ? These go to tutor nr 16 and never finishes the complete
> implementation.

    Actually, I am extremely interested in a very similar venture. I've
always admired Jack Crenshaw's tutorial because it gave me the first
introduction to building compilers. One of my promises to myself was
once I learned how to build a compiler, I would contribute back to by
writing a tutorial just like Jack Crenshaw did. However, I never did
stop and think about whether or not other people would find such a
work beneficial or not - so thanks for asking your question.

> I have an idea to make additional tutorials to build a real working
> c-compiler for the 68000 family CPU's, written in the ansi c language
> (not the Pascal that he used). I am almost finishing my compiler
> myself at the moment, and it includes almost everything like local
> vars, multi dimentional arrays, structures and the typical c things
> like ++, *= etc.

    Same here, except I've been experimenting more with building a
BASIC-like compiler in cross-platform C++ on x86 Windows & Linux
platforms.

> I would like to know if there is any interest in further tutorials
> based on the ones that Jack Crenshaw wrote. Maybe this is old history
> and technique has evolved, I don't know.

    Although I'd be interested in other peoples opinions, I don't think
so. From what I have heard and my personal experience, Jack Crenshaw's
tutorial is definately an excellent introduction to many people just
breaking into the field, but it could definately using some updating.

    A good tutorial that clearly uses the C language to build a C
compiler would be a boon to the community. Many people have, out of
necessecity, learned C, while others have forgotten or never learned
Pascal. Also, a finished series that thouroughly explores and
completes a compiler would be great.

    So I'd say that you are on the right track.

Sincerely,
Brian C. Becker