References for lexing Fortran with Sale's Algorithm?

"Steven Bosscher" <>
20 Nov 2002 15:29:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
References for lexing Fortran with Sale's Algorithm? (Steven Bosscher) (2002-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Steven Bosscher" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Nov 2002 15:29:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 20 Nov 2002 15:29:30 EST

Does anybody have a pointer to Sale's Algorithm for prelexing Fortran?
Something for F90 would be great, but the modified algorithm for F77
would be a good start.

The algorithm modified for F77 was published in 1991 (it was wrong,
BTW :-). Unfortunately I can't find the paper, and I can't find it or
the algorithm on the net either.

Hope someone can help,

[I wrote an F77 subset parser in 1988 and put in the ftp archive at With the documented
exception of array declarations that look like function definitions, I
think it does everything in Sale's list. I wrote a full commercial
f77 compiler in the early 1980s and figured it all out. Ugh. -John]