Scripting question

"PatG" <patrick@post.netlink.se>
25 Sep 2002 23:49:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Scripting question patrick@post.netlink.se (PatG) (2002-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "PatG" <patrick@post.netlink.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 2002 23:49:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Sep 2002 23:49:14 EDT

I want to create my own script language, or an interpreted language
like java, not java-script.. So i've been surfing around searching for
tutorials, but have only found some compiler tutorials. Anyhow there
is some things I need to get cleared before I continue, and that is,
are opcodes and bytes codes the same? I mean; let's say I write a file
like this:

1 0, 1

where 1 is opcode OP_SET and the 0 is the memory address and the 1 the
value I wanted it to be set to. Is this the same as bytecodes or is
this something entirely different?

If this is correct, would it then be a good idea to write a script
language that you compile into these opcodes, and then you run the
opcodes(bytecodes?) in the virtual machine, or am I off?

Hmm.. well I guess thats all i want cleared out, so thanks in advance.
// PatG
[Yes, those are byte codes, and it's quite common to translate langauges
into bytecodes and then interpret the bytes. The virtmach mailing list
that I host discusses the design and implementation of virtual machines
including the byte code variety. -John]