Parsing circular includes...

"Orlando Llanes" <ojl@hotmail.com>
14 Sep 2002 00:18:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing circular includes... ojl@hotmail.com (Orlando Llanes) (2002-09-14)
Re: Parsing circular includes... peter_flass@yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2002-09-14)
Re: Parsing circular includes... bsheff2@jyahoo.com (Bob Sheff) (2002-09-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Orlando Llanes" <ojl@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Sep 2002 00:18:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Sep 2002 00:18:28 EDT

        I'm currently working on an assembler, part of what I need is the
ability to process include files. I understand that I simply save the
current file pointer, read in the include file, and restore the previous
file pointer.
        What I'm having trouble with are circular includes. In other words, when
file A includes file B, and file B includes file A.
        Am I being a wimp by not allowing circular references?

See ya!
Orlando
[It depends. If your assembler can include a file based on an assembly
time condition, recursive includes are just barely useful. If it doesn't,
they're always an infinite loop so the only reasonable action is to
diagnose and give up. -John]