Re: Finding the set of recursive calls

"Hans Aberg" <haberg@matematik.su.se>
14 Aug 2002 02:16:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Finding the set of recursive calls vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-07-24)
Re: Finding the set of recursive calls jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2002-07-25)
Re: Finding the set of recursive calls vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-07-31)
Re: Finding the set of recursive calls haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2002-08-04)
Re: Finding the set of recursive calls vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-08-10)
Re: Finding the set of recursive calls haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2002-08-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Hans Aberg" <haberg@matematik.su.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Aug 2002 02:16:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Aug 2002 02:16:36 EDT

"VBDis" <vbdis@aol.com> wrote:
>In a discussion with Prof. Eppstein it turned out, that a vertex can
>form a strongly connected component, even if no explicit path exists
>from the vertex back to itself. This is due to the reflexive property
>of equivalence relations. Thus the set of recursive procedures is
>only a subset of the strongly connected components of an graph.

>So in the case of the set of recursive calls I'm not sure, which
>algorithms really are applicable without modificiations. The set of
>strongly connected components can be used as a base, from which all
>single-vertex components must be removed, which have no edges to
>themselves.

>(I knew that there was a problem... ;-)

At least the C++ variation I sent you in the mail puts the components on a
list before writing them out.

So it seems you should merely write out the components of size > 1 plus
the singletons of functions that call themselves, if that is included in
your definition of "recursive".

It should be easy to construct a directed graph putting label on each
vertex of a function that calls itself.

    Hans Aberg * Anti-spam: remove "remove." from email address.
                                    * Email: Hans Aberg <remove.haberg@member.ams.org>
                                    * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>