scanning/parsing technics for background code analysis in code editor

"Eric Delage" <eric_delage@yahoo.fr>
31 Jul 2002 01:18:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
scanning/parsing technics for background code analysis in code editor eric_delage@yahoo.fr (Eric Delage) (2002-07-31)
Re: scanning/parsing technics for background code analysis in code jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2002-08-04)
Re: scanning/parsing technics for background code analysis in code zoicasc@hotmail.com (Cristian Zoicas) (2002-08-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Eric Delage" <eric_delage@yahoo.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.editors
Date: 31 Jul 2002 01:18:46 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 Jul 2002 01:18:46 EDT

Hi,

I would like to develop a small text editor for VHDL / VerilogHDL with
features similar to the ones offered by MS Visual Studio for C /
C++. In particular, I would like to analyze the code in background in
order to offer code completion/indentation, syntax
checking/highlighting, pre-compilation, ... while the developper is
capturing the code.

Could someone help me in understanding how to program a scanner/parser
for such a task? I know the fundamentals of code scanning/parsing when
I have to translate a file into another but I'm pretty lost when I
think about a text widget whom content is continuously changing ...

Thanks.

Eric