Re: Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead

"Clint Olsen" <clint@0lsen.net>
31 Jul 2002 01:00:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead tbandrow@unitedsoftworks.com (tj bandrowsky) (2002-07-24)
Re: Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead Mark.van.den.Brand@cwi.nl (M.G.J. van den Brand) (2002-07-25)
Re: Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead tbandrow@unitedsoftworks.com (tj bandrowsky) (2002-07-31)
Re: Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead clint@0lsen.net (Clint Olsen) (2002-07-31)
Re: Diplodicus: A parser with infinite tokens of lookahead tbandrow@unitedsoftworks.com (tj bandrowsky) (2002-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Clint Olsen" <clint@0lsen.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Jul 2002 01:00:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 Jul 2002 01:00:23 EDT

  M.G.J. van den Brand wrote:
> I would advice you to have a look at this SDF parsing technology, see
> http://www.cwi.nl/projects/MetaEnv/ for more information on this
> technology.

I have taken a look at your SDF parsing technology, since I was
interested in comparing this to LALR(1) style parsing. To be brutally
honest I find your package next to impossible to build.

I have yet to ever finish before throwing my hands up and walking
away. The latest problem came up when I tried to build asf-library,
and forward.c received a few syntax errors because some part of the
file was not correctly expanded to valid C code.

There are way too many packages (and subpackages) to make this thing
fly. And your website doesn't seem to correctly 'bundle' all the
dependencies recursively so that _only_ one tarball needs to be
downloaded.

Is there some way you can make the build process of MetaEnv more
tractable? Right now the compile instructions look about O(n^3) :) It
looks like pretty interesting stuff (in theory), but it will continue
to remain that way until you make the price of entry less expensive.

Thanks,

-Clint