Symbol table management

"hantheman" <>
2 Jul 2002 01:11:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbol table management (hantheman) (2002-07-02)
Re: Symbol table management (Ralph Corderoy) (2002-07-04)
Re: Symbol table management (George Russell) (2002-07-04)
Symbol table management (1995-10-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "hantheman" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jul 2002 01:11:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jul 2002 01:11:28 EDT

Dear c.c.

I'm writing a compiler and an interpreter and is currently at the
parsing stage where symbol table mgmt is to be introduced.

My question is simply: what data structure is typically chosen?
Hash-tables? Trees? The program lang beeing parsed has syntax and
semantics pretty close to C++.

Also, any suggestions on how to best organize the runtime structure
for such a language - I understand how to do it for a structural
language, but I'm a bit unsure about how to handle OO features such as
MI, overloading and polymorphism.

Thanks in advance!