Re: Parsing Questions

"Stefan Ewing" <>
17 Jun 2002 00:10:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing questions (Rasmus Anthin) (2000-01-06)
Parsing Questions (Stefan Ewing) (2002-06-13)
Re: Parsing Questions (Michael J. Fromberger) (2002-06-14)
Re: Parsing Questions (Ian Wild) (2002-06-14)
Re: Parsing Questions (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-06-14)
Re: Parsing Questions (Richard C Bilson) (2002-06-14)
Re: Parsing Questions (VBDis) (2002-06-14)
Re: Parsing Questions (Stefan Ewing) (2002-06-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Stefan Ewing" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jun 2002 00:10:38 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Jun 2002 00:10:38 EDT

"Michael J. Fromberger" <> wrote
> "Stefan Ewing" <> writes:
> >Also, how should one represent the Java field access operator (.) in
> >a parse tree? At first glance, it seems like a binary operator to me
> >(given the object name and the field name, a memory address is
> >returned), but one operator precedence chart I saw online shows . as
> >a unary operator.
> Where were you looking?

Well, after being unable to find the information I needed at Sun's own
site, I used Google to find tables giving the precedence of operators
in Java, located at various other sites. One such table (the URL is )
classified the operators as unary, binary, or ternary, with the dot
operator being placed under in the "unary" column. Of course, the
table is for a freshman Computer Science course--as opposed to one in
context-free grammars or compiler writing--and I do not know what the
source of the author's information was (the author being an instructor
at Cal Poly), so I can't necessarily rely upon the information.

I have since found a table at the Sun Java site (
) which implicitly denotes the field access operator as binary (which
makes more sense to me).

Stefan Ewing