parsers for decoding network protocols?

"Scott Finnie" <scott@projtech.com>
27 May 2002 21:10:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parsers for decoding network protocols? scott@projtech.com (Scott Finnie) (2002-05-27)
Re: parsers for decoding network protocols? s4015614@student.uq.edu.au (Mr Kennie Nybo Pontoppidan) (2002-05-31)
Re: parsers for decoding network protocols? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-06-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Scott Finnie" <scott@projtech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 2002 21:10:46 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 May 2002 21:10:46 EDT

Hi,

I'm looking into the above; specifically, decoding incoming streams.
This seems very similar to parsing text files, so I was wondering:

  . Does anyone use existing parser generator toolkits for
      this kind of task?
  . If so, any recommendations/tips/warnings etc.?

Performance shouldn't be an issue; data will be coming over very low
bandwidth connections. The interest in toolkits is simply because
there are lots of different protocols to handle, and I don't fancy
hand-writing parsers for each.

The only significant differences I can see between this and parsing
file data are:

1. data source is a connection rather than a file (OK, since it can
      be abstracted to a stream I think?)
2. tokens will be 8 bit rather than 7 bit ascii (OK, as long as
      toolkit allows definition via e.g. escape codes?)

Development & target environments are NT/2K/XP and C/C++. Free
toolkits preferable, although commercial also considered.

Many thanks,
Scott.