Compiler books for beginners?

bart@dynarec.com (Bart T.)
27 May 2002 01:21:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler books for beginners? bart@dynarec.com (2002-05-27)
Re: Compiler books for beginners? rboland@unb.ca (Ralph Boland) (2002-05-27)
Re: parsing extended CFGs, was Compiler books for beginners? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2002-05-31)
Re: parsing extended CFGs, was Compiler books for beginners? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-05-31)
Re: Compiler books for beginners? db@digital.com (dablick) (2002-05-31)
Re: regular expression operators in CF grammars parsersinc@yahoo.com (SLK Parsers) (2002-06-13)
Re: regular expression operators in CF grammars neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami) (2002-06-14)

From: bart@dynarec.com (Bart T.)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 2002 01:21:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 May 2002 01:21:56 EDT

Hello,

I'm interested in learning about compilers and wanted to know what
recommendations people here would make about books for beginners.

I checked the FAQ and checked some book sites (such as Amazon.com) for
reviews and I've come up with this list:

---
Compilers : Principles, Techniques, and Tools*
by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffrey D. Ullman

Building an Optimizing Compiler
by Robert Morgan

Compiler Design in C*
by Allen I. Holub

Compiler Construction: Principles and Practice
by Kenneth C. Louden

Art of Compiler Design, The: Theory and Practice*
by Thomas Pittman, James Peters, Jim Peters

Introduction to Compiler Construction*
by Thomas W. Parsons
---

I've heard that Holub's book along with the Dragon book together make
a good introduction to compiler development because they complement
each other.

The titles marked with a * are those which I will have access to at my
university's library, so I can check them out and see for myself which
ones work for me. Nonetheless, it would be nice to hear some comments
about them.

What about those books not marked with a *?

Where should I start, and where should I go if I decide I like this
stuff and want to learn more? I've had experience with dynamic binary
translation, but that's nowhere near as difficult as a compiler.

Thanks in advance :)