Shared-memory consistency: register file

jjcook@ews.uiuc.edu (jeffrey j cook)
23 May 2002 01:48:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Shared-memory consistency: register file jjcook@ews.uiuc.edu (2002-05-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jjcook@ews.uiuc.edu (jeffrey j cook)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 May 2002 01:48:49 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 May 2002 01:48:49 EDT

I would appreciate any suggested references that deal with maintaining
consistency in a shared-memory model with respect to the register
file. I am particularly interested in anything that deals with a more
efficient mechanism than simply always loading and storing a value
when its used, but instead allowing careful register allocation for
shared variables...

Specifically, work which relates to a weak consistency model, where-by
synchronization "instructions" are known and thus consistency must
only be guaranteed at these points - ala storing all shared variables
before the synchronization primitive and ensuring no old values live
in the register file by issuing reloads, if necessary, after the
synchronization.

I've done a search on both IEEE and ACM but I don't seem to have the right
keywords, any help would be great. Thanks.

--
Jeffrey J. Cook
Graduate Student, Electrical Engineering