Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device

haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
1 May 2002 23:19:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device nou.dadoun@polycom.com (2002-04-23)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-04-29)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-01)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device iddw@hotmail.com (2002-05-03)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-05-03)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-04)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-05-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 1 May 2002 23:19:22 -0400
Posted-Date: 01 May 2002 23:19:22 EDT

"Kamal R. Prasad" <k.prasad@attbi.com> wrote:

>Im pretty sure that the binary from C++ code has a much larger
>footprint than the one from an equivalent C code. seems unilikely
>that anybody would use anything besides C and assembly to write
>embedded code.
> -kamal
>[I think you might be surprised. It entirely depends on what libraries
>you use. -John]

There is an "embedded C++", and Bjarne Stroustrup has announced that
for the next revision of C++, he wants that, if possible, to be merged
with C++. -- Or so I recall; see the newsgroup comp.std.c++, first
article in the thread "C++0x" one or two years ago year.

Otherwise, the early C++ compilers used to produce huge amounts of
objective code, but this is no longer the case. -- Compiler
optimization has come a long way.

As for embedded programming, one can note that memory has doubled
every year: It is really the mass-consumption PC's and the need for
IC's to generate less heat that drives this development. So it should
apply to embedded programming as well. This means that if it takes
(say) 50 MB to implement a mini-OS with a WWW server, and your average
bread machine some years ago used 50 kB, it will only ten years minus
some for your average bread-machine to have a WWW server. By then,
this will be a cheap solution, as other physical controls (like
buttons) need not be implemented (there is already a standard for
hooking up devises to the Internet via the electrical cord, I recall).

It means that also embedded programming, as memory becomes plenty, will
make use of high level programming techniques.

    Hans Aberg * Anti-spam: remove "remove." from email address.
                                    * Email: Hans Aberg <remove.haberg@member.ams.org>
                                    * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>
[50MB? Are you nuts? The QNX demo has OS TCP/IP stack, GUI, web
browser and server, and fits on a floppy. There are similarly small
mini-Linux systems. We could have web toasters now, but I wouldn't
want to use one. See
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/technology/28GIZM.html (free
registration needed.) -John]