Re: Comparison of abstract machines

Lieven Marchand <mal@wyrd.be>
24 Apr 2002 22:29:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comparison of abstract machines labra@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es (2002-04-23)
Re: Comparison of abstract machines p.terry@ru.ac.za (Pat Terry) (2002-04-24)
Re: Comparison of abstract machines mal@wyrd.be (Lieven Marchand) (2002-04-24)
Re: Comparison of abstract machines christian.bau@freeserve.co.uk (Christian Bau) (2002-04-24)
Re: Comparison of abstract machines parz@shaw.SpamBucket.ca (Parzival Herzog) (2002-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lieven Marchand <mal@wyrd.be>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Apr 2002 22:29:17 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 Apr 2002 22:29:16 EDT

labra@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es (Jose Emilio Labra Gayo) writes:

> I am a teacher of a fourth year undergraduate course on language
> processors which follows a classical structure (Aho et al.). This
> year I was planning to give a short introduction to abstract machines
> trying to present new (and famous) developments like the Java Virtual
> Machine and Microsoft CLR in the context of older ones (like P-code,
> etc.).

An interesting one is the pop11 (poplog) design. It's a fairly
classical VM but it was opened to the users. So anyone who wanted to
design a piece of syntax of their own, could define that syntax in
terms of the VM operations, that would then get compiled to native
code. This was used in the poplog system, that besides pop11 contained
prolog, ml and common lisp.

http://www.poplog.org/docs/popdocs/pop11/ref/vmcode
--
Lieven Marchand <mal@wyrd.be>