Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device

nou.dadoun@polycom.com (Nou Dadoun)
23 Apr 2002 00:03:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device nou.dadoun@polycom.com (2002-04-23)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device dr_feriozi@prodigy.net (SLK Parsers) (2002-04-24)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-04-29)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-01)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device iddw@hotmail.com (2002-05-03)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-05-03)
Re: Parser Generators for Multiple Protocols in an Embedded Device haberg@matematik.su.se (2002-05-04)

From: nou.dadoun@polycom.com (Nou Dadoun)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 23 Apr 2002 00:03:13 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Apr 2002 00:03:13 EDT

I've been doing a quick survey of some of the parser generators
available out there (yacc/bison, antlr, lemon etc.) and I have a few
questions for anyone with an overview of some of these (and perhaps
others).

I work in research for the voice division of Polycom making VoIP
(Voice over IP) telephones. There are many protocols that need to be
supported in an IP telephony 'endpoint' device: signaling protocols
(e.g. MGCP, SIP etc.), session description protocol (e.g. SDP), and
various XML usages (provisioning, 3rd party services, display control
etc.). Currently, each of these has its own 'specialized' parser.

My goal is to find a parser generator that could be applied to a
variety of protocols (our target language currently is C++) such that
the resulting code footprint is as small as possible (given the
limitations of an embedded device).

What I'm hoping might be possible is one that has a 'core' processing
engine (which need only be loaded once) with a table or some other
data structure that identifies the parsing rules for each individual
protocol. (This likely imposes a reentrancy/thread-safeness
requirement as well.)

Nou Dadoun
Polycom Canada
1000 West 14th Street