Re: Textbook Suggestions?

Randolph Crawford <>
16 Apr 2002 00:49:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Textbook Suggestions? (Smith, Doug) (2002-04-13)
Re: Textbook Suggestions? (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2002-04-16)
Re: Textbook Suggestions? (Randolph Crawford) (2002-04-16)
Re: Textbook Suggestions? (Mikael 'Zayenz' Lagerkvist) (2002-04-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randolph Crawford <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Apr 2002 00:49:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 16 Apr 2002 00:49:37 EDT

A textbook that isn't in the FAQ but IMHO deserves to be is Robert
Morgan's "Building an Optimizing Compiler", a pragmatic look at
advanced compiler construction from the one of the principals of the
GEM compiler team at DEC^H^H^HCOMPAQ^H^H^H^H^H^HHewlett-Packard.

$62.95, 434 pages, 1997, Digital Press, ISBN 155558179X

However, I'm not aware of any books that combine control flow
analysis with concrete implementation details.

Smith, Doug wrote:
> I'm looking for good text books on dataflow analysis that not only provide
> a descent description of the algorithm's), but also include a
> description of some of the suggested data structures to implement the
> dataflow analysis and perhaps even provide some working code.
Randy Crawford