Simple Language design

chubbles@blueyonder.co.uk (Chubby)
6 Apr 2002 23:20:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Simple Language design chubbles@blueyonder.co.uk (2002-04-06)
Re: Simple Language design k.prasad@attbi.com (Kamal R. Prasad) (2002-04-07)
Re: Simple Language design farmersckn@hotmail.com (2002-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: chubbles@blueyonder.co.uk (Chubby)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 2002 23:20:02 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2002 23:20:02 EST

I'm currently developing a very simple language which describes HTML
forms in simple text. I'm using JAVA to implement the
compiler/translator and just need to know the general STEPS needed for
lexical analysis. I've read tons of books which describe how simple
mathmatical expressions can be tokenized but what about the more
complicated strings, keywords etc?

Also what would be the best way to read the source file into the
program. At the moment I am reading the entire source file into an
array of strings therefore the array index corresponds to the line
number which will help with error reporting when I come to parsing the
tokens. Is this the best method? (Since reading a valid expression
over two lines will require extra array manipulation)