Re: DFA complement/intersection problem (Richard C Bilson)
6 Apr 2002 22:54:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DFA complement/intersection problem (Paul J. Lucas) (2002-03-31)
Re: DFA complement/intersection problem (2002-04-06)
Re: DFA complement/intersection problem (Dennis Mickunas) (2002-04-06)
Re: DFA complement/intersection problem (Kenn Heinrich) (2002-04-06)
DFA complement/intersection problem (Chris F Clark) (2002-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Richard C Bilson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 2002 22:54:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2002 22:54:06 EST

Paul J. Lucas <> wrote:
>If I have two languages:
> L = a*
> M = (a|b)*
>it's obvious that L <= M (L is a subset of M) because all
>sequences of A* are also sequences of (a|b)*. However, when I
>write code for this, I get L <= M and M <= L which is wrong.
> L <= M === intersect(L,~M) = 0
>I first have two minimal DFA for both languages:
> L: (s0) --{a}-> (s0)
> M: (t0) --{a|b}-> (t0)
>That is: each DFA has a single state that is accepting. For L,
>there is a single transition on 'a' back to s0; for M, there
>are two transitions: one each for 'a' and 'b' back to t0.

What happens to machine L when it reads a 'b'? You haven't defined
the transition function in this case. I assume that this is because
you have an implicit "error" state. I think that making this "error"
state explicit will solve most of your problems.

>If I understand Hopcroft, et al, correctly, to compute ~M, the
>complement of M, you simply flip all the accepting and non-
>accepting states. For M, since there is only one state, it
>becomes non-accepting.

This makes sense, since M accepts any strings from the alphabet {a,b}.
Therefore, the complementary machine will accept nothing.

Applying the analogous construction for L as you state doesn't work the
same way, though -- L doesn't accept every string in {a,b}, just those
without 'b'. It makes sense that the complementary machine would accept
strings with a 'b' somewhere.