Is interprocedural optimization worth it?

Dmitry Shaporenkov <dsha@tercom.ru>
31 Mar 2002 23:15:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is interprocedural optimization worth it? dsha@tercom.ru (Dmitry Shaporenkov) (2002-03-31)
Re: Is interprocedural optimization worth it? mlacey@microsoft.com (Mark Lacey \[MSFT\]) (2002-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dmitry Shaporenkov <dsha@tercom.ru>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Mar 2002 23:15:55 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Mar 2002 23:15:55 EST

Hi all,

I am currently implementing the optimizer for C compiler. I intended
to realize interprocedural-level optimizations (in particular,
interprocedural constant propagation), but I'm not sure whether these
ones can result in a significant enhancement of code. All
optimizations are performed on a middle-level intermediate
representation, and I cannot directly control the register allocation
and other passes that work later.

My question is, does anybody know the successful examples of
interprocedural optimizers in modern C compilers, commercial or free?
Or, aliasing problems and procedure boundaries are too hard obstacles
to make such optimizations really useful (on the other hand, is it
better to inline as much code as possible)? It would also be
interesting which interprocedural optimizations are performed in
compilers, and which of them produce best results?

I'll be grateful for any references.
Thanks.

--
Regards,