Re: Writing my first compiler

"john thrum" <missoulaleo@DIE_SPAMBOT_DIEearthlink.net>
19 Mar 2002 16:18:04 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing my first compiler Yarrago@hotmail.com (2002-03-17)
Re: Writing my first compiler joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-03-19)
Re: Writing my first compiler missoulaleo@DIE_SPAMBOT_DIEearthlink.net (john thrum) (2002-03-19)
Re: Writing my first compiler dobes@dobesland.com (Dobes Vandermeer) (2002-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "john thrum" <missoulaleo@DIE_SPAMBOT_DIEearthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Mar 2002 16:18:04 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Mar 2002 16:18:04 EST

"Yarrago" <Yarrago@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> snip
> front end however the backend is causing me a bit of concern. I want
> my compiler to output 16bit dos exe's. I have several books on the
> topic however they only cover writing a compilers backend up to the
> assembly stage; I want to go the final step and output exe's. Would

Unfortunately, this is an area that is rather sparsely covered by most
textbooks. You can find oodles of books on writing compilers that output
assembler, c, or some sort of p-code or IL. But not much on outputting
native code and creating exe's. But there is information to be found on the
web. A good place to start would be to download the source code for the gnu
c++ compiler for dos/windows from www.cygwin.com. There are also linkers
available for DOS that come with source code. One good place to try is
www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwsrc.htm. Also, there is the freeware
VAL linker and Arrowsoft assembler. I remember seeing the source code for
them somewhere. There is a tremendous amount of information out there on
the net. You just have to dig for it a little.

john thrum