Book Advice Needed

nob@fibertel.com.ar (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Ojeda_B=E4r?=)
17 Mar 2002 22:58:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book Advice Needed nob@fibertel.com.ar (2002-03-17)
Re: Book Advice Needed "crwfrd<NOSPAM (Randolph Crawford@umich.edu>) (2002-03-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nob@fibertel.com.ar (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Ojeda_B=E4r?=)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:58:55 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:58:55 EST

Hi,

I have been teaching myself compiler writing for quite some time now.
The books I used were (obviously) the Dragon book and Appel's.

I'm currently able of writing a more or less high-end front end for a
compiler. Now I am interested in design choices and general theory of
intermediate languages and compiler back ends in general (code
generation, and optimizations). Intermediate representation design is
one of those things that aren't covered too well on the Dragon book
and that I'd like to know better.

I've been browsing Amazon, and I've found two possible candidates for
learning this material:

1. Modern Compiler Design, D. Grune (like the Dragon Book but updated)
2. Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation, Steven Muchnick

I'd like to know any kind of opinion or advice from people who have
read them or used them in a class ...

Thanks a lot,
nob.