Re: New to compiler needs help

Ralph Boland <rboland@unb.ca>
17 Mar 2002 22:57:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New to compiler needs help gachsaran@hotmail.com (News) (2002-03-09)
Re: New to compiler needs help rboland@unb.ca (Ralph Boland) (2002-03-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralph Boland <rboland@unb.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:57:01 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:57:00 EST

> I am new to compiler technology and need to write a fron-end of a
> compiler in Java. I have no problem to design a grammar but my problem
> is how to transfer this grammer to java code. I will appreciate any
> help direction pointer. Do you know any book that describe this
> transformation in a simple way that is understandable? I have
> Compilers..(Aho Sethi) And Modern Compiler implementation in Java in
> my bookshelf.

One possibility is to use Antlr. It is a parser generator tool that
created a recursive descent parser from your grammar.
After a little practice the output (parser) it is quite understandable as well.

There are other tools that do this as also.

I know of a number of LL(1) grammar parser generator tools that do this
but I don't know of any LR(1) grammar parser generator tools that do.

Ralph Boland