How To Design A Code Generator

"Christian Parpart" <cparpart@surakware.net>
17 Mar 2002 22:09:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How To Design A Code Generator cparpart@surakware.net (Christian Parpart) (2002-03-17)
Re: How To Design A Code Generator dontexists@hotmail.com (Pietro) (2002-03-19)
Re: How To Design A Code Generator dobes@dobesland.com (Dobes Vandermeer) (2002-03-21)
Re: How To Design A Code Generator cparpart@surakware.net (Christian Parpart) (2002-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Christian Parpart" <cparpart@surakware.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:09:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:09:49 EST

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone can tell me some information about
code generators and its design. We're currently developing our
own compiler (for an own language).
As a sub project I've decided to split our compiler into front end
and back end.
While our front end (the language parser, semantic checker)
seems closely finished, our back end is in a very early state.
That Compiler Backend Library (CBL) is able to generate/manipulate
syntax trees (definitions/symbols/expressions/statements).

Now it should be also able to generate low level code (e.g. asm source,
or binary).

Does anyone know some other good sources, or informational sheets?
I know GCC has its own back end, too. But it's written in plain C and
really really very unreadable. We've written in C++.

I'm thinking of implement a architechture independent code generator....

For more information about our Compiler Backend (license GPL)
see: http://www.surakware.net/projects/libcbl/index.xml
and http://www.surakware.net/projects/libcbl/user-api/index.html

Many many thanks,
Christian Parpart