Re: Test Data generation using grammar

Olivier Ridoux <>
17 Mar 2002 22:07:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Test Data generation using grammar (2002-03-09)
Re: Test Data generation using grammar (Olivier Ridoux) (2002-03-17)
Re: Test Data generation using grammar (Eric Eide) (2002-03-17)
Re: Test Data generation using grammar (Gary Miles) (2002-04-21)
Re: Test Data generation using grammar (2002-04-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Olivier Ridoux <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:07:13 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Mar 2002 22:07:13 EST

Harvinder Singh wrote:
> I am working on a program, which will be able to generate test
> data..... given the grammar of the test data. I mean to say.... if we
> give the grammar of C language the output will be the set of all the
> possible C programs.
> will have the ability of limit the output data (that will
> harvinder singh
> [Look through the comp.compiler archives. Someone's built exactly this
> thing already, a program that takes a grammar and spits out sentences in
> the language it defines. -John]

You will find rather ancient works on the subject :

B. Houssais
Production systematique de tests commandee par une grammaire:
a la validation d'un compilateur Algol 68
Thesis, IRISA, Universite de Rennes, 1976

B. Houssais
Verification of an Algol 68 Implementation
Proc. of the Strathclyde Algol 68 Conference, Glasgow, Scotland,
SIGPLAN Notices 12(6), June 1977
{Houssais used affix grammars to generate test cases for Algol-68}

To be frank I doubted a while if this would be in the archive, but it

Olivier Ridoux
[Every article ever posted to comp.compilers since it started in 1986 is
in the archives. See
and The indexing
is a little buggy but I hope to fix that in the next month or so. -John]