Writing a java parser/syntax checker/ and semantics checker

destraynor@yahoo.ie (Des Traynor)
9 Mar 2002 03:14:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a java parser/syntax checker/ and semantics checker destraynor@yahoo.ie (2002-03-09)
Re: Writing a java parser/syntax checker/ and semantics checker RichashelSPAMBASTARDS@btopenworld.com (Richard Bremner) (2002-03-31)
Re: Writing a java parser/syntax checker/ and semantics checker rsherry8@comcast.net (Robert Sherry) (2002-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: destraynor@yahoo.ie (Des Traynor)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Mar 2002 03:14:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Mar 2002 03:14:32 EST

Hey all ,
                i have been set the task of writing a parser/syntax/semantic
analyser for the java programming language. Basically everything a
compiler does, before it gets to the memory allocation/bytecode
generation.
                I also need it to give out intelligent error messages ( more
clear and straightforward to an inexperienced programmer ). Then I
have to wrap the whole lot up in a gui!
                I have looked at JLex/CUP and also javaCC as a means of lexer
and syntax checker, but I am totally lost as to how to do the
semantics checking (e.g type checking, scoping etc ). If anyone has
any ideas, or knows anywhere that may be of interest, your help would
be more than appreciated.
                  Thanks
                      Des Traynor