Several parsing questions

Agnes <kidlim@yahoo.com>
9 Mar 2002 03:08:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Several parsing questions kidlim@yahoo.com (Agnes) (2002-03-09)
Re: Several parsing questions jayanty4@yahoo.com (2002-03-11)
Re: Several parsing questions joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-03-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Agnes <kidlim@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Mar 2002 03:08:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Mar 2002 03:08:31 EST

* Ambiguous Grammar ?

Is there a way (fixed syntax) to tell if a set of grammar rules is
ambiguous ? e.g. in the case below, how do you tell that this grammar is
ambiguous ?

E --> E + E | E * E | (E) | id

* Conversion of Ambiguous Grammar to Unambiguous Grammar ?

How do I go about converting an ambiguous grammar to one that is not ?
e.g.

an ambiguous grammar :
E --> E + E | E * E | (E) | id

an unambiguous grammar :
E --> E + T | T
T --> T * F | F
F --> (E) | id

* NFA to DFA ?

What is the usual practice to translate the inputted grammar into the
parsing table ? Do I have to go through the process of converting the
grammar from a NFA to a DFA, and from the DFA to (D)PDA ?

* CFG to a reduced CFG in translating grammar to parse table ?

In the process of translating the inputted grammar into the parsing
table, if given a CFG, do I have to convert the CFG to a reduced CFG,
and from a reduced CFG to a alpha-free reduced CFG, and then reduce it
to a unit-free CFG ?