Re: code generation

"Ira D. Baxter" <>
28 Jan 2002 01:04:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code generation (2002-01-24)
Re: code generation (Ira D. Baxter) (2002-01-28)
Re: code generation (Boris Boesler) (2002-01-28)
Re: code generation (Pietro) (2002-01-28)
Re: code generation (=?ISO-8859-15?q? (2002-02-06)
code generation (Viesturs Rikards) (2004-11-14)
Re: code generation (2004-11-17)
Code generation mcvax!ruuinf! (1989-02-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ira D. Baxter" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jan 2002 01:04:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 28 Jan 2002 01:04:31 EST

You want to know about program transformation systems. See for general background.

With such tools, you can code maps between source-language syntax
patterns, and target-language-syntax patterns as primitive translation
steps. You typically need all the other machinery of a compiler
(lexer, parser, name/type resolver, analysis engines) etc. to enable
the translation rules to be triggered under the right circumstances.

You can see slides about porting (translating software) this way at
These slides show some sample transforms used to translate JOVIAL to

Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.

<> wrote