RegExp: EBNF or POSIX notation?

Markus Dreyer <>
24 Jan 2002 14:54:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RegExp: EBNF or POSIX notation? (Markus Dreyer) (2002-01-24)
Re: RegExp: EBNF or POSIX notation? (=?ISO-8859-15?q? (2002-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Markus Dreyer <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:54:43 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:54:43 EST

I have implemented a grammar using regular expressions. Now I am
describing the ideas and the implementation in an academic paper.

Which notation should I use to describe my regular expressions? Is EBNF
(ISO 14977) okay? Or shall I use the POSIX notation? Or another?

Thanks. Markus.
[I don't think it matters much unless the professor for whom you're
writing has strong religious views on the topic. -John]