Re: alias analysis in gcc

jle@forest.owlnet.rice.edu (Jason Lee Eckhardt)
18 Jan 2002 21:05:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
alias analysis in gcc sumesh_uk@hotmail.com (sumesh) (2002-01-17)
Re: alias analysis in gcc jle@forest.owlnet.rice.edu (2002-01-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jle@forest.owlnet.rice.edu (Jason Lee Eckhardt)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:05:51 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:05:51 EST

You will have more success asking on the gcc discussion mailing list for
gcc-related questions. There are numerous gcc developers that lurk there who
can give detailed information about gcc's analyses and passes.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/

There is reasonable documentation available for porting gcc, but docs
about the analyses and optimization passes are rare. You'll have to
take some initiative and start browsing the source.

As an aside, you may wish to consider using the Open64 (formerly SGI Pro64)
compiler for researching new optimizations. Despite its' many warts, the
compiler has a significantly larger set of analyses and optimizations than
gcc. For mailing lists and other information, see:
http://open64.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately, Open64 also has a lack of documentation about the source code.

Finally, there are numerous other compiler research infrastructures that may be
more well-suited to your needs -- especially if you want to avoid that
inevitable nasties of "production quality" compilers like the two above.