Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts

"Jeremy Bennett" <>
18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts (Andrzej Wasowski) (2002-01-17)
Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts (Jeremy Bennett) (2002-01-18)
Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts (Andrzej Wasowski) (2002-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jeremy Bennett" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 EST

"Andrzej Wasowski" <> wrote in message

> I am a PhD studenta carrying on a project on code generation for
> embedded systems. Currently considered approach is to generate C
> code from UML-like (though more restricted) state charts. Different
> methods are considered including from interpreting action tables (or
> table-like data structures), embedded decision trees to generating
> direct programs in C. There is a wide range of interesting aspects
> in optimizing state charts (far much beyond the standard speed-size
> rtade off).

> The work is aimed at embedded systems but efficient implementations
> of state charts may have wider applications (including scanning,
> parsing, theorem proving or even data compression).

> I would be very glad either to hear from anybody working on
> efficient implementations of state charts. Also if you know any
> interesting resource (book/website/article/etc) let me know about
> it.

At the risk of stating the absolutely obvious, I presume you've looked
at existing UML tools. I know that RoseRT from Rational generates code
from its state machines, and my team used it successfully in building
real-time embedded software in 1999. We were quite happy with the
performance of the resulting code in a pretty demanding environment.

You might also like to look at the ArgoUML open source UML CASE tool
(, which includes code generation
functionality. The code generation functionality is still in relatively
early stages, but might be a useful forum for your discussing your work
(I declare an interest as an active member of the ArgoUML team).

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Bennett