Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts

"Jeremy Bennett" <jeremybennett_newsreply1@yahoo.co.uk>
18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts andrzej_wasowski@yahoo.com (Andrzej Wasowski) (2002-01-17)
Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts jeremybennett_newsreply1@yahoo.co.uk (Jeremy Bennett) (2002-01-18)
Re: Automatic code generation from UML-like statecharts andrzej_wasowski@yahoo.com (Andrzej Wasowski) (2002-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jeremy Bennett" <jeremybennett_newsreply1@yahoo.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:03:38 EST

"Andrzej Wasowski" <andrzej_wasowski@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I am a PhD studenta carrying on a project on code generation for
> embedded systems. Currently considered approach is to generate C
> code from UML-like (though more restricted) state charts. Different
> methods are considered including from interpreting action tables (or
> table-like data structures), embedded decision trees to generating
> direct programs in C. There is a wide range of interesting aspects
> in optimizing state charts (far much beyond the standard speed-size
> rtade off).

> The work is aimed at embedded systems but efficient implementations
> of state charts may have wider applications (including scanning,
> parsing, theorem proving or even data compression).

> I would be very glad either to hear from anybody working on
> efficient implementations of state charts. Also if you know any
> interesting resource (book/website/article/etc) let me know about
> it.

At the risk of stating the absolutely obvious, I presume you've looked
at existing UML tools. I know that RoseRT from Rational generates code
from its state machines, and my team used it successfully in building
real-time embedded software in 1999. We were quite happy with the
performance of the resulting code in a pretty demanding environment.

You might also like to look at the ArgoUML open source UML CASE tool
(http://argouml.tigris.org), which includes code generation
functionality. The code generation functionality is still in relatively
early stages, but might be a useful forum for your discussing your work
(I declare an interest as an active member of the ArgoUML team).

Hope this helps.

--
Jeremy Bennett
www.jeremybennett.com