win32/linux executables

alankarmisra@hotmail.com (gods1child)
3 Jan 2002 15:40:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
win32/linux executables alankarmisra@hotmail.com (2002-01-03)
Re: win32/linux executables fab@rhapsodyk.net (Fabrice Medio) (2002-01-05)
Re: win32/linux executables ck@kuckuk.com (Carsten Kuckuk) (2002-01-05)
Re: win32/linux executables vbdis@aol.com (2002-01-05)
Re: win32/linux executables newsfeed@boog.co.uk (Peter Cooper) (2002-01-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: alankarmisra@hotmail.com (gods1child)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jan 2002 15:40:28 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Jan 2002 15:40:28 EST

I have finished a significant portion of Allen Holub's Compiler Design
in C. Instead of using real assembly, he uses a C-like intermediate
languageto simplify matters, which i think was an extremely good idea.
Now as a next step towards writing compilers that create binary
executables, I wanted to write a small compiler. The compiler would
read an arithmetic expression and create an executable file that would
accept a number from the console, run it through the compiled
expression, and output the result to the console. The executable
should work on win32 (later i want to move to linux too maybe by using
a common intermediate language that would then be compiled for linux
and windows).

where do i start? intel's assembly specification ? windows APIs? any
resource that would help me write a basic compiler would help. i can
then try and expand that further and seek help as and when i get
stuck.

and yeah, happy new year to you all and your families.
[I don't know of a single place where the grotty stuff of assembling
and linking and creating executables is explained. -John]