Re: chomsky and compiler development

"GenericInfoService" <genericinfoservice@yahoo.com>
25 Nov 2001 22:37:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
chomsky and compiler development GenericInfoService@yahoo.com (GenericInfoService) (2001-11-14)
Re: chomsky and compiler development sting@linguist.dartmouth.edu (Michael J. Fromberger) (2001-11-17)
Re: chomsky and compiler development spinoza1111@yahoo.com (2001-11-17)
Re: chomsky and compiler development marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2001-11-25)
Re: chomsky and compiler development genericinfoservice@yahoo.com (GenericInfoService) (2001-11-25)
Re: chomsky and compiler development joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-11-29)
Re: chomsky and compiler development lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2001-11-29)
Re: chomsky and compiler development TanjBennett@hotmail.com (Tanj) (2001-12-11)
Re: chomsky and compiler development thp@cs.ucr.edu (2001-12-15)
Re: chomsky and compiler development JeffKenton@mediaone.net (Jeff Kenton) (2002-01-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "GenericInfoService" <genericinfoservice@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Nov 2001 22:37:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Nov 2001 22:37:33 EST

Much appreciate your reply.

Thanks for the reference to Hopcroft and Ullman. If I discover
additional worthwhile information from some computer experts I know, I
will post it here. One gentleman - an academic who unfortunately I
cannot recall - a few years back opined that without Chomsky we would
not have modern computer compilers without their context-free
grammars. That seemed a little extreme, and I'm glad to get other
opinions here.

Chomsky in his 1993 book Language and Thought (most of the material
was taken from an Academic Conference in NY in which he was the
keynote speaker) articulates some of his Philosophical thinking which
you've captured I think at least fairly well. He has been outspoken
since the 50's in his disdain for Logical Positivism - which is
important to understand as the motivation as well as the culmination
of his Linguistic Research.