Re: DOS 5.0 Compiler?

Axel Kittenberger <>
25 Nov 2001 22:32:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DOS 5.0 Compiler? (Jeff D. Hamann) (2001-11-17)
Re: DOS 5.0 Compiler? (Jerry van Dijk) (2001-11-25)
Re: DOS 5.0 Compiler? (Axel Kittenberger) (2001-11-25)
Re: DOS 5.0 Compiler? (2001-11-25)
Re: DOS 5.0 Compiler? (Shankar Unni) (2001-11-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Axel Kittenberger <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Nov 2001 22:32:40 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Nov 2001 22:32:40 EST

> I have a project where I need to produce a DOS 5 compatible executable and
> have no DOS 5 machines. Is there a "cross-compiler" I could run under
> FreeBSD/Linux? SHould I try to run an old copy of MSC7 under a DOS
> emulator on FreeBSD/Linux?
> Where would be a good resource to find out more information?

The GNU C compiler, GCC can do that:

From the manual it has the configure target 'DOS'. I guess for the rest the
usual gcc cross compiling HOWTO's apply, best see the gcc installation
manuals, however might be a bit tricky getting it to run for the very first

Also a link that might be interesting for you is:

DJGPP is a gcc running itself under old style DOS. Beside that they might
also have some interesting information, also for cross-compiling for DOS on
a UNIX machine.

- Axel