Re: C Book?

Alan Lehotsky <>
17 Nov 2001 00:37:59 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Book? (Steve Canoodt) (2001-11-11)
Re: C Book? (Dave H) (2001-11-14)
Re: C Book? (Andrew Wilson) (2001-11-14)
Re: C Book? (Alan Lehotsky) (2001-11-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alan Lehotsky <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Nov 2001 00:37:59 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Nov 2001 00:37:59 EST

"Dave H" <> wrote:

> I would say that "The C Programming Language" by K&R is still one of the
> best. At my jobs, almost all developers have a copy on their desks.
> - Dave
> Steve Canoodt <> wrote in message
> > Hi, I am new to Compilers and will be debugging a pre compiler (
> > target c )for a company I work for. I want to know what is the
> > standard book for C generally used by the compiler writers.

Well, the obvious answer to that question should have been

      American National Standard for Information Systems -
      Programming Language C, ANSI X3.159-1989 (Or its ISO C equivalent)
      (actually, you should really have the 9x version, not the

and my expanded list would include

        Harbison & Steele's "C: A Reference Manual"

      Plaugher: "The Standard C Library"

K&R is absolutely USELESS to a compiler writer! (And I say this as
someone with over 20 years of compiler implementation experience!)
It is however still a simple concise introduction to the C language.

Quality Software Management