Re: looking for C pre-processor (Edward G. Nilges)
8 Nov 2001 01:21:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for C pre-processor (Denis Gurchenkov) (2001-11-05)
Re: looking for C pre-processor (2001-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Edward G. Nilges)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c
Date: 8 Nov 2001 01:21:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Nov 2001 01:21:31 EST

"Denis Gurchenkov" <> wrote
> Could somebody point me to a C pre-processor that is provided with
> source code? It NEED NOT BE FREE - our customer agrees to pay for it.
> The most important properties are product quality and
> ease-of-modification.

I hope my response is useful, Denis.

I wrote a C preprocessor ten years ago and lost it, using C itself as
the development language. Since preprocessing is basically text
editing, it may not be difficult to roll your own. Unlike PL/I (which
had an enormously ambitious preprocessor that allowed you to use most
of the runtime features of PL/I, the syntax of C is fairly simple.

Since that time I have written "the" preprocessor for a simpler syntax
(that of Visual Basic) a few times. Again, it seemed a simple task.

I'm wary of my suggestion, for the customer may be tempted to request
cool features, and this will increase the development time.