syntax error message tools and methods

Clint and Susie Jeffery <jeffery@zianet.com>
5 Nov 2001 00:15:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax error message tools and methods jeffery@zianet.com (Clint and Susie Jeffery) (2001-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Clint and Susie Jeffery <jeffery@zianet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 2001 00:15:10 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Nov 2001 00:15:10 EST

Hi,

I am looking for any work involving novel tools or methods of
producing useful syntax error messages, done in the last 10 years or
so. There was a nice bibliography of work done prior to that posted
to this group ages ago. Note that I am asking about ways to generate
useful error messages, not ways to recover from errors, of which there
are dozens of articles. Also note: I am particularly interested in
tools/methods usable with standard YACC-compatible parsers, and I
already know how to use the "error token", I am looking for
alternative or better ways to produce the messages. Any help will be
greatly, truly appreciated!

Cheers,
Clint Jeffery, jeffery@cs.nmsu.edu