compilers storing code outside hierarchical filesystems?

Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>
5 Nov 2001 00:14:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compilers storing code outside hierarchical filesystems? basile@starynkevitch.net (Basile STARYNKEVITCH) (2001-11-05)
Re: compilers storing code outside hierarchical filesystems? tmaslen@wedgetail.com (Thomas Maslen) (2001-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 2001 00:14:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Nov 2001 00:14:31 EST

Hello All,

Does anyone know about recent compilers (or programming environments)
which store code outside the ordinary hierarchical filesystem (as
provided by Unix or similar [Windows, Plan9] operating systems)?

I know about old Lisp and Smalltalk machines (which stored code in
their [then huge] virtual memory persistent space). I also know about
Cecil and Self which provided similar environments on Unix.

I heard about some IBM Java? or C++? compiler which stored source code
in some kind of RDBMS but I forgot the details, and welcome any white
paper references. Conceptually this means that the compiler is
integrated in a IDE, or at least an editor, which stores code in the
RDBMS and notify the compiler. This permit smart recompilation (of
only changed functions) - at a finer grain than usual make+compiler
techniques.

I would be specially interested by an opensource implementation
running on Linux (but this probably does not exist, I would have found
it already).

Regards

--

Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/