table compression

Ralph Boland <>
4 Nov 2001 23:53:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
table compression (Ralph Boland) (2001-11-04)
Re: table compression (Olivier Ridoux) (2001-11-08)
Re: table compression (2001-11-08)
Re: table compression (Heng Yuan) (2001-11-08)
Re: table compression (Dennis Mickunas) (2001-11-08)
Table compression (Leonardo Teixeira Passos) (2005-09-27)
Re: Table compression (2005-09-30)
[6 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralph Boland <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Nov 2001 23:53:46 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Nov 2001 23:53:46 EST

I've been searching the literature for methods of compressing LR(1)
(or LALR(1)) parse tables but I haven't found very much.

I would think there would be a fair amount of research in this area.

Algorithms to compress finite state machine transition tables would
also be of interest.

Any help would be most appreciated.

By the way I am developing a LR(1) parse table compression algorithm
of my own and so would like to compare it to what's available.

Ralph Boland
[Yacc uses a reasonably good scheme but I don't think it's really
documented outside the source code. The dragon book alludes to it
but doesn't really describe it. -John]