Re: how to get a c complier for a 8bit mcu

sandeep.dutta@usa.net (Sandeep Dutta)
21 Oct 2001 21:30:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
how to get a c complier for a 8bit mcu yang.zhongming@163.com (2001-10-20)
Re: how to get a c complier for a 8bit mcu sandeep.dutta@usa.net (2001-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: sandeep.dutta@usa.net (Sandeep Dutta)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 2001 21:30:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Oct 2001 21:30:34 EDT

yang.zhongming@163.com (carl) wrote in message news:01-10-099...
> I have a 8bit mcu,and I want a c compiler to generate running-code for
> it. I know, there does not exists such one yet. but some one can give
> me some general suggestion to make one myself.

Try http://sdcc.sourceforge.net

SDCC is a Freeware, retargettable, optimizing ANSI - C compiler. The
current version targets the Intel 8051 , Dallas-DS390, and the Zilog
Z80 based MCUs. Work is in progress on supporting the Amtel AVR, and
Microchip PIC series. The entire source code for the compiler is
distributed under GPL. SDCC uses ASXXXX and ASLINK, a Freeware,
retargettable assembler and linker. SDCC has extensive MCU specific
language extensions, which lets it utilize the underlying hardware
effectively. The front end (parser) will be enhanced to handle
language extensions for other MCUs as and when they are targeted. In
addition to the MCU Specific optimizations SDCC also does a host of
standard optimizations like global sub expression elimination, loop
optimizations (loop invariant , strength reduction of induction
variables and loop reversing ), constant folding and propagation, copy
propagation, dead code elimination and jump tables for 'switch'
statements. For the Back end SDCC uses a global register allocation
scheme which should be well suited for other 8 bit MCUs , the peep
hole optimizer uses a rule based substitution mechanism which is MCU
independent.

Sandeep