Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port)

Michael Engel <>
12 Oct 2001 00:21:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) (Daniel Pfeiffer) (2001-10-10)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) (2001-10-12)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) (Michael Engel) (2001-10-12)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) (Thomas David Rivers) (2001-10-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Engel <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:21:08 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:21:08 EDT

Daniel Pfeiffer <> wrote:
: In the flex distribution there's a port to MVS consisting of
: modifications concerning file names and short symbol names which are
: not important on our mainframe (Fujitsu Siemens BS2000). Then a few
: minor code fixes where some Asciites thought that everything from A -
: Z isupper(). And most importantly there is an Ebcdic output of
: scan.l, which alas is totally useless since it corresponds to a
: seemingly 10 year old version 2.3.6.

Hmmm, reminds me of my first Unix machine - a Sun 3/60 workstation.
Well, there's an old Exabyte backup tape in a corner somewhere...

: It is totally useless, because it doesn't come near to working with
: the current version. And no version before 2.4.2 is to be found on
: the internet! And even then there are two missing diffs on the GNU
: mirrors before 2.5.1 so the older diffs cannot even be applied.
: PLEASE send me pointers (URL, CVS, mail me the sources...) to this old
: version 2.3.6, and all versions since, so I can incrementally work up
: to the current version.

I was able to find some interesting things:
- a flex version 2.3 from
    (Yes, this seems to be a 4.3BSD-Reno source tree...)
- some ancient flex version 2.1 from 1989(!) which was posted to
- flex 2.3.7, which is part of Minix-2.0.0 (in cmd.tar.Z)
- and another flex 2.3 posted to comp.souces.unix at

Not exactly 2.3.6 but close. I wasn't able to find diffs to more
recent versions...

Hope this helps,
Michael Engel (