Re: Dragon book getting old? (preety good new text book)

nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
12 Oct 2001 00:16:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dragon book getting old? alankarmisra@hotmail.com (2001-10-06)
Re: Dragon book getting old? (preety good new text book) sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (2001-10-10)
Re: Dragon book getting old? (preety good new text book) nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2001-10-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:16:53 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:16:52 EDT

Steve Meyer <sjmeyer@pragmatic-c.com> wrote:
>I recently have been using a pretty good modern book: "Modern Compiler
>Design" by D. Grune, H. Bal., et. al. John Wiley and Sons, New York,
>2000.
>
>It covers a number of newer topics such as "functional programs",
>"logic programs, and "parallel and distributed programs". I find book
>to be quite good except I am not sure of their use of threaded trees
>instead of 3 address tuples as intermediate code generation
>representation. Although, it is possible I am misunderstanding how
>their threaded trees work. /Steve

Er, "newer" topics? Those predate the dragon book by a considerable
timespan! The term "extra topics" would be more relevant.

There certainly has been a fair amount of work on parallelisation
since the dragon book, and quite probably on the other areas, so
the book you refer to may be more up to date. But the topics are
definitely old.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email: nmm1@cam.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679