Re: Feedback for compiler project

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
12 Oct 2001 00:16:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-09-20)
Re: Feedback for compiler project joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-10-06)
Re: Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-10-10)
Re: Feedback for compiler project joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-10-12)
Re: Feedback for compiler project vbdis@aol.com (2001-10-12)
Re: Feedback for compiler project dmitry@elros.cbb-automation.de (2001-10-13)
Re: Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:16:33 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:16:33 EDT

J.van Iddekinge <iddekingej@lycos.com> wrote:
> Joachim,
>
> I suppose you are a OOP programmer.

That's indeed the case.

> Dynamic routine and Oop have both the same kind of advantages but the
> first is related to process and the second to objects. But when
> dynamic routines and oop are combined, the properties of both are
> combined and strengthened, and weaknesses of both systems can be
> compensated.

Hmm... I didn't see that Elaya has classes or any of the other
paraphernalia of OO. Did I overlook something?

> (There are more situation where dynamic routines can be use but I
> think this is enough).

Well, yes. Conceptually, it would be syntactic sugar for a class
consisting of a single routine.
Can be useful. Java uses a similar approach for inner classes (which can
be anonymous), though it is a bit more on the verbose side of the
spectrum.

> Keep in mind that there are several points:
> * Elaya doesn't contain OOP yet!!!

OK, this answers my question.

> * The current implementation of Dynamic routine is a first step for
> a better representation of processes. Many features are still
> missing.

Then I'll take a look once the language has evolved further.

Regards,
Joachim